Wednesday, January 17, 2007

ABA Therapy and Down syndrome

I was looking for resources on whether or not ABA therapy is beneficial to persons with Down syndrome. In BC the government funds ABA Therapy for children with Autism but not for children with Down syndrome. I found out that the ABA therapy was originally developed for children with Down syndrome! Yet our government is NOT providing this therapy to children with Down syndrome.

I think it's time for a change.

Here is the link to the discussion about it on the Trisomy 21 board where I asked about it: LINK

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! After weeks of web searching for ABA in DS I came across your blog. I have looked all over for the data you mention like the part about how it was first used in DS! I am in the same place you were with denial of service. I had it but only a short time and was given the same excuse. Do you have any info that could help me? I have a hearing with a judge next week, 11/19 and need to get my documents in by Monday. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yes ! Yes! Yes! I have a 7 year old who son with down syndrome who is receiving 15 hours a week of ABA therapy at home for the past 2 years. Friends, family and teachers are so amazed at how well his behavior and non compliance has improved. ABA therapy is a lot of work for the entire family but so worth it.

Eleni said...

I have a 6-1/2 year old boy with down
Syndrome that would also Benefit from
ABA therapy. Can anyone help me get
Started. I live in Fairfield, Ct.

Eleni said...

I just found out that my 6-1/2 year old
Boy with down syndrome could
Benefit from a good ABA program.

Where in Ct can I get the best ABA
Evaluation?

Eleni said...

Can anyone tell me more about how I can get my son qualifed for an ABA program. I also have a 7 year old son who may benefit from an ABA program.

Katrina said...

Hi Eleni, unfortunately there is not a lot of info about ABA and Ds however there is some good info on the website: http://bcdsc.org/aba-therapy.html

I am in Canada so I have no idea about what is available in conneticut. Perhaps you could contact some ABA therapists in your area? They would be under autism services most likely

Anonymous said...

ANY PROGRESS? I am starting down this path.